blog

media controller #2: those damn buttons

previously: we begin the mapping process and have a few breakthroughs.

next up was the proximity sensor.

this was an important one because it was the one we wanted to control our crossfading action, and the sensor we were the least sure about.  we also managed to destroy our first sensor by trying to solder straight on to the leads.

unfortunately for us, we didn't realize we had destroyed it until we went to talk to tom, who was gracious enough to give us a connector that snapped into the proximity sensor and gave us enough wire lead to solder on to.  turns out the sensor is very sensitive and the extreme heat from the soldering iron will throw it out of whack very, very quickly.

 after tom helped us, though, it was smooth sailing.  here's when we managed to make the sensor work:

(video to be added)

then, we progressed to our switches.  we had bought some LED tactile buttons from sparkfun, hoping we could get them to light up on the jacket and make it look even cooler than it already was.  however, when it came time to open the datasheet to get more information on them, the entire thing was in japanese.  so, we had to guesstimate which leads connected to what.

this process involved a LOT of soldering.  who would have guessed at the beginning of this semester that i would love it as much as i do?

even after getting them to work, the LED buttons continued to give us problems throughout the course of our project. tom ended up recommending a breakout board for them, which i will definitely be using next time i decide to incorporate these buttons into a project.

after connecting the buttons to the board, we had a lot of issues figuring out which function in max would trigger our buttons.  naturally, since switches are so much easier to control in arduino than sensors are, we thought that we'd be able to figure it out in max in no time -- but alas, this was not the case. thankfully, tony stepped in and introduced us to the "note out" function and the idea of bangs, which would enable us to map to one-time actions in ableton.  we quickly picked out sound effects, and also decided that the looping function would be better served by using buttons to do it, rather than the tilt sensors we had bought.

next up: the fabrication battle.

pcompRoopa Vasudevan